Tuesday, February 3, 2009

TWD - World Peace Cookies (and those Corn & Pepper muffins I never posted)

It has been ages since I have posted anything...and I am sorry for that. Life has been a bit crazy here. I am trying to graduate this semester with my masters...and it is going to be a little close to defend my thesis by the deadline for May graduation (March 13). BUT...all things aside, you have to have life in balance...and I cannot work all the time...and in some of that remainder time, I would love to bake/cook.


Anyways, I digress. This week's TWD recipe pick was World Peace Cookies. Jessica of cookbookhabit chose the recipe this week, and should you want to make them, you can buy Dorie Greenspan's book Baking from my Home to Yours or get the recipe from Jessica's website.


Now before we start, I have to say that my husband LOVED these cookies. I will be surprised if there are any more of them by end of day tomorrow (and I wasn't done cooking them until Monday night around 11pm...see hilarious picture above...we had the munchies so we were cooking bacon and baking cookies all after 10:30pm). He kept saying he liked them but wouldn't come out and say he really liked them, but kept eating them...actually I took a bite of one and then set it down so I could finish cutting the cookies for the second batch...I turn around and he ate the rest of my cookie. Seems he can't keep his hands off them. He wouldn't even bring them to work to share because in his mind I hadn't made enough for us and them (even though I made a full batch).


So if all that didn't peak your interest. You should really make these cookies. They are great, especially with coffee in the morning...yum. I made these exactly to the directions and had no difficulty. Although I was looking through some of the other TWDers blogs and I saw one where they put some espresso powder and cappuccino chips...which sounds divine. So I might go with that variation next time.



Corn and Pepper Muffins
Also here are the pictures from the Corn and Pepper Muffins. They were alright...but as silly as it is...I am a Jiffy fan. I like my cornbread undefiled my extraneous ingredients. The muffins were good, it is just not what I think of when I think cornbread...and I was expecting cornbread. But thanks anyways to Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake for getting me to bake outside my comfort zone. If you like stuff in your cornbread (and like sweet cornbread, this one does have sugar) then you should try this one out. Check out Rebecca's blog or Dorie's book for the recipe.



Turns out I thought I had a can of corn...but all I had was creamed corn. Sigh...such is life.


So my sweet husband strained the creamed corn for me (because I was quickly falling apart...halfway in the middle and super stressed out...and we have no canned corn??).


Also I used a cast iron muffin tins...I personally think cornbread belongs in cast iron.



And here is a pic of the muffins with the soup we had with it. Not chili...mainly because I didn't have any time to make the chili. I can't wait until school is over and I have more time.


Up next week: Floating Islands...hmm sounds intriguing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked the cookies...they didn't last long around here, either. Nice muffins too!

TeaLady said...

Gone quick here, too. Graduating in May. Way to go. Great job on the quick job on the cookies. Muffins look good, too.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Your World Peace Cookies look wonderful, too funny that you and your husband were both up late making munchies in the kitchen. Makes me wish my husband liked to cook. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! The muffins and soup look delicious, one of my favorite combos. Sorry you weren't a big fan of them. I have to agree cornbread from cast iron are best :)

Anonymous said...

these cookies were so good. way to go with getting your masters! and yeah, the cornbread... i prefer mine to be really sweet but still thought they were good.

Leslie said...

Love your World Peace Cookies! So funny about your husband! These are pretty hard to resist.

Bungalow Barbara said...

We didn't want to share ours either!

And did you know that chocolate and bacon together are a hot new food trend?