Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TWD - Devils Food White Out Cake


So this week's recipe, chosen by Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater, is the cover recipe of Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my Home to Yours. Please see either Dorie's book or Stephanie's blog for the recipe.


This week is crazy busy, but I couldn't just not make the cover recipe... so I made a fourth of this recipe. And instead of making a cake (because a quarter cake would be hard) I make 5 cute little cupcakes.



The cake tastes great, but I couldn't get the icing to work out right. Probably because I had to hand mix it since I was only doing a fourth, I had to use just one egg white, and I couldn't very well whip that up by itself in the KitchenAid Mixer.


So I added some powdered sugar to thicken up the frosting.


I actually made 6 of the cupcakes, but I used the smallest of them for crumbling on top of the other frosted cupcakes.


All in all this was a fun recipe. The cake tasted great. Next time I will either use a different icing recipe, or make the full recipe (maybe it would work better in bulk in the KA).

2 comments:

AmyRuth said...

I love your first picture... such cute little cover cupcakes. Hope you enjoyed them even though you were super busy. Great job
AmyRuth

Nichicakes said...

Im impressed that you did the icing by hand! I did 1/2 and it was almost too small for the KA