Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TWD - Kugelhopf

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is Kugelhopf chosen by Yolanda of The All-purpose Girl. If you would like to see the recipe, please either buy the Dorie's cookbook or see Yolanda's blog for the recipe. Also you can check out all the other TWDer's here to see all there Kugelhopf success. Check out my fancy new bundt pan for this challenge :) Not exactly the right pan for the job, but it is close enough.

Okay...so I will let you in on a little secret...I didn't read the recipe through all the way before I started....turns out this is a very time intensive process. 1 1/2 hours for the first rise, 2 hrs (with 1/2 hr beating down of the dough) then chill in the refrigerator all night, and then a final rise out of the fridge for 2 more hours.


Now I will let you in on a second little secret...I would be lying if I said that I followed this recipe to a tee. So I started this recipe at about 9pm last night and I was uber tired. So I let it rise for about an hour and then "slapped it down" and put it in the fridge overnight. I probably would have skipped this challenge if I had read through the whole thing before starting it last night...but I figured that out after I had the dough.

So other than the rise times, I used chocolate chips in the dough instead of raisins, mainly because I didn't get a chance to go by the grocery store and get raisins...actually I had planned on putting dried cranberries in it instead. The chocolate chips were good in it, but they all sunk to the bottom of the dough.

The final result was okay. It would have probably been better if I had followed the rise times it probably would have been better. Also I think I agree with a lot of the TWDers that thought that this dough was a little bland. Probably worse though since my chocolate chips all fell to the bottom and were not spaced out as they should have been.

So here is my so-so Kugelhopf. I guess this is 2 recipes that haven't been so good...but I also don't have much experience with breads...so I think that it is still good that I am doing this whole weekly challenge thing, the main reason I wanted to join was to become a better baker...so sorry if you are looking at this blog for amazing results each time ;)

Next week's challenge is: Arborio Rice Pudding, White, Black (or Both) on pages 412 and 413. But I probably will chose to skip this week...1. because I am not much of a pudding fan and 2. because I have a "midterm" next Tuesday (yes...you heard me right, a midterm within the last 3 class days this semester...ridiculous). Check on the TWD blog for everyone else's pudding.

2 comments:

AmyRuth said...

I love that you are in Bryan. TAMU? Family there. I like baking with TWD also because it prompts me to bake things like Kugelhopf. ya know?
Happy Baking
AmyRuth

Amy said...

Yes TAMU. I know 8 years is a little long to wait for a reply. For some reason came back to read the blog. I am not sure I realized people ever commented on my posts 😬 Thanks for reading!!